Thursday, December 11, 2014

Return of the Writer

If God was real, he has a weird sense of humor. If the platypus was a gag, then randomness is his punchline.

See, I've been in a slump lately, seven months to be exact. I had encountered this twice in the past, and all of them lasted the same seven months (no kidding). I would be in a writing binge, up until a publisher rejects my stories. Then dejection and depression and distraction buries that momentum.

When I'm not writing, I'm gaming. I like gaming. Gaming and writing are always close to my heart. But like jealous siblings, one of them wants my undivided attention. So it's this cycle, a two season cycle in this mental climate. I can't ignore one of them because I'd be miserable, like losing a child to a pool of sharks.

Randomness of the universe. I picked up Sims 4 a month ago and have been playing it non-stop. From a hardcore PvPer in Guild Wars 2 to a casual Simmer in Sims 4 (Simmer is a noun. It means someone who plays the Sims. Which one version, doesn't matter. Don't even get me started with their expansions).

With Sims 4, I crafted an alternate world, a grim universe that was inspired by Lovecraft. I applied all of what I've learned in writing, and the bug has its suckers deep in my vein. The itch is back. Good. I'm planning to write this Sims 4 story until I'm satisfied with its ending. Once I'm done, I'm back at drafting stories, practicing with prompts and sending them off to publishers.

I believe my last test as a writer is taking the rejection, eating it and moving on. Carpe Diem. Yada Yada. 

No comments:

Post a Comment