Saturday, October 17, 2020

October 2020 Update - The new Quest 2 and the short story stuff

Midway through October already! I got the Oculus Quest 2, and it is amazing. Text looks crisp and I can read my books in it clearly. But there is noticeable chromatic aberration on the edges. It's not too bad that it renders the headset useless. Anyways, I'm a happy virtual camper.

I'm still writing inside VR as well. It's my preferred mode in writing now. There is a planned feature by Oculus in the future that allows you to work in VR without needing a computer. This could be useful for writers who primarily write in Google Docs or some other cloud-based program. In my opinion, I'd still prefer writing on my laptop simply because it's faster. I imagine Google Docs straining to load a 300 page manuscript. The thought makes me shudder.

While letting the third novel simmer (it's actually overdue; I had set to work on it at the beginning of October--look at me now) I've been writing some short stories with the intent of sending them out to publishers. Comparing my older works with the newer ones is illuminating. One thing that stood out is pacing. There were areas where I'd dabble in beats that were unnecessary or were placed in the wrong sequence. The older works were written with the old method of outlining whereas the newer works with the new method. If I get my newer works published with a better success rate, that would mean that my new outline method is a success (at least for me, of course).

My only hang up now is actually submitting those short stories. I still have that feeling of hesitation, like I don't want to send them simply because a rejection is a sign that I'm not a good writer. Nonsense, you'd say, and I agree. But the rational mind is at odds with the emotional mind. Best policy, then, is no mind at all.

Here's to being mindless in October.

Also vote.


No comments:

Post a Comment