Thursday, March 21, 2019

Copywork #1 - Grendel, by John Gardner


Here’s the latest entry for my copywork exercises: Grendel, by John Gardner. I wanted to copy Grendel because it’s told in first person POV. Also, I like unreliable narrators, especially the dramatic and primadonna kind (Grendel is one in this fine retelling). Despite his histrionics, he is still and will always be a monster.


You will notice that the title for this entry is labeled as “Copywork” instead of “Scene Analysis”. I am pulling back on in-depth analysis because I want to focus more on writing new content (novels and short stories). Also, I’m running into problems where some scenes don’t require an in-depth analysis.

For now, the purpose of these posts will be for sharing only. I’ll share what I’ve copied, but I’ll also show how the narrative modes look like on a bar graph.

So--

As a refresher from my copywork blogpost (click here to read the full post), here is the color coding on the highlights:
  • Orange for Action beats
  • Green for Descriptions
  • No highlights for Dialogue
  • Yellow for Summary/Transition
  • Blue for Thoughts
  • Pink for Authorial/Narrator Intrusion
  • Purple for Exposition

A double highlight means that a sentence is functioning with more than one mode.










Below is a graph of the narrative modes of the copied scene. This shows the rhythm between abstract and concrete beats. It scales from -3 to +3 with the following sequence respectively: Exposition (as -3), Intrusion, Thought, Transition (as 0), Description, Dialogue and Action (as +3).



Follow me @jonmayowriter

Click this to join my newsletter

---

Copyright Disclaimer Under Section 107 of the Copyright Act 1976, allowance is made for "fair use" for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, and research. Fair use is a use permitted by copyright statute that might otherwise be infringing. Non-profit, educational or personal use tips the balance in favor of fair use.

No comments:

Post a Comment